McConnel is a multi-award winning British manufacturing company that is leading the way as the world’s number one supplier of Power Arm and green maintenance technology. Based in Ludlow, Shropshire, McConnel offers a comprehensive product portfolio including hedge and verge mowers, self-propelled sprayers and spreaders, cultivation and seeding machinery as well an innovative range of remote control machinery.
The Drivetrain Design Engineer will be responsible for carrying out the duties of the Engineering department, predominantly focusing on new product design and ongoing product development, whilst also overseeing areas including research, prototyping, engineering documentation and process improvement. The successful candidate will report directly to the Principle Engineer for Special Purpose Machinery but will closely collaborate with all business functions in the effective deliverance of all design projects under their responsibility.
- Assume direct responsibility for the design and development of new products focusing on engine integration, chassis and suspension design.
- Work closely with Production Engineering and Manufacturing to improve manufacturability, assembly and serviceability of products.
- Focus on cost reduction initiatives in association with other departments across the business.
- Prepare engineering drawings in SolidWorks and setup of new manufactured items in MRP database.
- Assist senior management with technical guidance where required.
- Develop and maintain excellent relations with key customers and suppliers’ external to the organization.
- Create and record technical documentation relating to research, design, HSE and production for all projects.
- HND and above in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Experience in engine installation, chassis and suspension design.
- In-depth knowledge of CAD software, ideally SolidWorks.
- Ability to plan, schedule, co-ordinate and problem solve effectively.
- Ability to integrate effectively within a team environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Excellent IT skills including windows based software.
- An agricultural background would be advantageous.